Facts About Stuttering
- Approximately 1% of the population stutters (over 68 million) and about 3 million Americans stutter
- Stuttering is generally not caused by psychological or physical trauma
- Stuttering is not related to intelligence
- Approximately 3 males stutter to every 1 female
- Many preschoolers who show early signs of stuttering will outgrow it. However, we cannot predict who will recover spontaneously. Speech therapy at an early age can increase the likelihood that the child will recover.
- There are no cures for stuttering. Speech therapy can help a person manage his/her speech and make long-term changes over time.